fudge

Tuesday 16 September 2014

I Remember Mario

Thirteen years ago today when the world was still reeling from the events of 9/11 my family was rocked by it's own personal tragedy.

I wrote this post about the day before it happened, a day that we had all spent together with my children as a tribute to a gentle man who remains in our hearts and our thoughts always.

Mario was my brother in law, he died aged 45 very suddenly from a heart attack due to a heart disease he didn't even know he had.

My sister, his wife was 6 months pregnant with their very much wanted first child.

His daughter will been a teenager in a few short months.  A beautiful, bright, loving girl and it breaks my heart that she will never know this very special man other than through our memories.


I Remember Mario


I remember the look of pride and sheer joy in his eyes as he placed his hand on her swollen stomach. ‘My little Piranha’ he said.

They smiled at the private joke, sharing a moment of complete happiness amid the chaos and noise of a family get together.

The plate of food lay forgotten on the table as he crouched down to talk to the young boy playing with his Action Man
.
Seeing her brother being paid so much attention caused the little girl to forget her shyness of this big man with the big voice. She toddled towards him and gently touched his face, ‘kiss’ she said as she lent forward and placed her lips where her fingers had been.

He looked at me and smiled. ‘This is what it’s all about’ he said without words, ‘this is who I was meant to be’.

When the phone call came early the next morning it made no sense at all. Years have passed and it still makes no sense.

He never met his beautiful girl. She didn’t get to kiss his cheek.

But while she may not have her own memories, as long as I remember, she will have mine.

3 comments:

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

Wow. That's moving. And bravely written.

Brighton Pensioner said...

Exactly as Mike said.

Sarah said...

Thank you Mike and BP.