fudge

Tuesday 6 May 2014

Rubbish Tuesday

Linking up with Roan for Rubbish Tuesday.

When you set yourself up as a bit of a baker you have to expect that people are going to call on you when a cake needs making.

Well, that's fine by me because there's nothing I like more than faffing around in the kitchen and creating something delicious for people I love.

I'm not an expert and I have my fair share of disasters and, to be honest, my cakes often taste so much better than they look and as long as people want to eat my cakes then I'll carry on making them :-)

Last week Miss Mac turned 15 and I made her a strawberry and white chocolate cake:







My niece and her husband came to visit for the Bank Holiday weekend and, as it had been his birthday on the Friday I offered to make a cake.  Apparently chocolate mud cake is his absolute favourite.  Not something I'd made before but a quick search on google came up with a recipe and the end result was this:


A cake containing 500g of chocolate!  Practically gives me a heart attack just looking at it!

Anyway, this post isn't really about cake (although cake is often on my mind ....)  it's about rubbish, or, to be more precise:

' The idea is to post a photograph of anything old and/or deteriorating i.e. house, barn, outbuilding, something rusty, antiques, interesting junk, or something in pristine condition, but just plain old.'

While none of make cakes tend to fortunately make it to the 'old' stage I do like a bit of kitchenalia and it's the first thing I look out for if I'm wandering around a car boot sale or charity shop.

A few weeks ago I found these:



A set of Salter kitchen scales - I totally love them, I've no idea how old they are but as all the measurements are imperial I'm guessing that they could be early 70's, still in perfect condition and they scrubbed up pretty well.  I still tend to think in lb and oz anyway, I guess that's as a result of having mostly been taught to cook by my Grandmother so they suit me perfectly.

I also recently found this:



A proper old fashioned hand whisk with a wooden handle which again took me right back to my Grandmothers kitchen.  I'm not really a gadget person, I like my cooking to be hands on and even a bit of hard work, I like to feel like it's me rather than a machine that's created something.

Finally, my last piece of 'junk' was actually dug up in the garden of a friends house:



After rescuing it from the bin I gave it a wash and a little bit of research confirmed that this bit of cast iron (which weighs a ton!) is for making welsh cakes - so I gave it a shot:



And they tasted pretty good - I'm also thinking that they would be great for making American pancakes or drop scones in ...


r />

13 comments:

Brighton Pensioner said...

Can I drop by on my birthday later this month? Those cakes look scrummy, as my granddaughter would say.

Sarah said...

You certainly can BP - any excuse to make a cake ... Hope the Old Bat is feeling better very soon too.

Anonymous said...

Well that was interesting. I have similar old cast iron pans for making corn cob-shaped cornbread sticks. The pans are from the early 1900s.

Roan said...

Lots of good stuff here and I don't just mean the cakes. I haven't seen one of those "hand whisks" in years. Mom had one, but we always called it an egg beater. Not sure why. Guess they used it to make scrambled eggs. Thanks for linking up.

EG CameraGirl said...

When Anni drops by for a piece of birthday cake I'll come by too. YUM!

The cast iron for making welsh cakes is a wonderful find!

Hootin Anni said...

I have my mother's hand beater somewhere!

Okay....let's eat!!!!

Beth said...

My birthday is in September and I love the flavor of lemon! I will be waiting for my cake. :-)

Sarah said...

I love this pan Ann, I've no idea how it ended up buried in the garden but it was a great find!

I don't know if many people still use them Roan, electric ones definitely make life easier but I like a bit of nostalgia with my cake :-)

The more the merrier EGC - one thing there is always plenty of in my house is cake!

Ha ha Anni - lets!

Lemon cake's one of my all time favourites too Beth :-)

Anonymous said...

You certainly revitalized your Welsh cake pan. Lovely as is the strawberry cake. Happy 15 to Miss Mac!

betty-NZ said...

Those are some great old finds that you have put to good use!

Sarah said...

Thanks Georgette, I'm glad I discovered it's proper use although I'm sure I'll find plenty of new ones for it too.

Thanks Betty.

Anonymous said...

Your cakes look wonderful! I love all the 'old' tools and have never before seen the cast iron pan for making Welsh cakes. Your hand whisk is what we (my mother and I) referred to as an 'egg beater.' I still have hers. :)

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my RT barn.

~Lindy

Sarah said...

Thanks Lindy :-)